How to Pack a Suit
Packing a suit properly not only prevents unsightly wrinkles; it also saves you time and money. Since bulky garment bags are out of vogue and airline baggage fees have increased, fitting everything in your carry-on (wrinkle-free) is a necessity. Ensure the smooth arrival of your suit by following these nine folding steps:
Start with the pants
1. Hold pants upside down from the bottom hem.
2. Line up both hems and each leg’s center crease.
3. Fold them in half (top to bottom).
4. Fold them in half again.
Then work on the jacket
5. Hold jacket upright with hands in the shoulders and the liner facing you.
6. Fold the jacket in half, shoulder to shoulder.
7. Turn one shoulder inside out over the other shoulder. The lining should face outward.
8. Place your folded pants on top of the jacket. Fold jacket over pants.
9. Place your expertly folded suit into your suitcase. Admire your fine work.
To see this process in action, watch this instructional video from Travel + Leisure’s packing series:
Bonus tip: When you arrive at your destination, unpack your suit immediately. Also, hang it on a towel rack in the bathroom while you shower. The steam will help smooth out small wrinkles.
If you have more questions about proper suit care, come see us at Harleys in Shorewood. We’re happy to help you. You can find us here.